What is Spiritualism
Spiritualism is a religion that began on March 31, 1848, in Hydesville New York in the USA, with the spirit contact established between the Fox sisters and a spirit from the other side of the veil. This began the creation of a new religion that heavily emphasized spirit contact, with special emphasis on contacting deceased loved ones in Spirit through an individual’s personal spirit guides. These same spirit guides assist us in our personal and spiritual growth and development.
Independent Spiritualist Church
We are an independent Spiritualist church, in that we are not part of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches (NSAC). The reason for this, as stated elsewhere on this website, is that we put the emphasis on assisting individuals cultivating the relationship between them and their individual guides, rather than contacting deceased loved ones in Spirit. However, sometimes those loved ones come through, and when this occurs, the same skills we develop working with our guides can be used to contact them if appropriate. We also make it a point to honor all traditions, and thus are open to all.
Principles of Spiritualism
- WE BELIEVE that “Time is the measure of our understanding of an idea” (E. Cayce). The quality of understanding is always in flux, and our possibilities for higher growth are unlimited!
- WE BELIEVE that the purpose of life is to grow toward higher dimensions of being, and that the object of life is reunification with the source of life, God. This possibility is open to us and our goal is to seek this on a daily basis.
- WE BELIEVE that we are the children of God (and the Universe) and that we are one with all else. Our goal is to respond to the All in accordance with this principle.
- WE BELIEVE that Love is the highest and greatest power in the Universe. We seek to demonstrate this Power of Love in our lives; to the extent which we open ourselves to this power and are a vessel for it.
- WE BELIEVE in the Law of Synchronicity. Our good will manifests to the extent that we seek it, claim it, and use it wisely and lovingly. By Synchronicity, miracles and marvels will occur in our lives through the agents of Divine Mind.
- WE BELIEVE that Light is the Way to Reunification. We must strive to acquire as much Light as possible. And we must guard and protect Our Light from threats of loss.
- WE BELIEVE that Consciousness is evolving through all life forms, and that our efforts to lift Consciousness to higher vibrations within other life forms will assist the evolution of our own Self-Consciousness, as well as that of the entire planet.
- WE BELIEVE in the moral responsibility of the individual, and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness. Our words, thoughts and actions create our reality. Our reality is predicated upon and limited by our understanding of Universal Laws. If we wish to change our reality, we must change our consciousness; which conditions and manifests the reality we perceive.
- WE BELIEVE that Sincerity and Simplicity are beautiful spiritual attributes, which we desire to express and hold in our consciousness.
- WE BELIEVE that help is available to us from the higher dimensions. Help towards balance, right decision and evolution of consciousness are ours for the asking.
- WE BELIEVE that the existence and personal identity of the individual continues after the change called death.
- WE BELIEVE man in the natural world and man in the spiritual world can communicate with each other.
- WE BELIEVE that Faith demonstrates lack of fear and that Fear demonstrates lack of faith. Faith is a devoted servant and Fear is a terrible master.
- WE BELIEVE Mind is the Builder; Form is the Doer; and Spirit is the Architect.
- WE BELIEVE that the events, circumstances and relationships in our lives are teachers for us. Every person who enters our lives is our teacher, our student, or both.
- WE BELIEVE that “An Attitude of Gratitude is a Beatitude” and it’s essential for maintaining Harmony and Balance in our lives. This leaves no room in consciousness for energy-destroyers such as resentment, fear, jealousy or self-debasement.
- WE BELIEVE that we are a pulsating energy field of life force, composed of our vibrations; be they negative or positive, energy-taking or energy-giving. WE MAKE THE CHOICE.
- WE BELIEVE in the Divine attributes of Prophecy, Healing and the Gifts of the Spirit.
- WE BELIEVE that our most precious gift is the Divine Spark within; which is our aspiration to know the Beloved.
- WE BELIEVE that it is an individual choice to accept the belief in reincarnation.
Simply, universal laws are the laws of the universe, known and unknown, that help regulate reality, and when they are known about and worked with, they can be of great use to expedite our spiritual and personal growth. It is by learning about them and putting them to work for us that we deepen our connection with the spirit world, and come into greater alignment with the higher intelligences that are available to us as we move through life. These laws that apply to all can be the motivator for our own evolution.
Spiritualism is a more scientific religion that most today, and this is evidenced by the use of natural laws in addition to universal laws. The easy way to understand natural laws is to know about the natural sciences. Highly, but not exclusively Newtonian, these laws can help us stay grounded and understand the physical world and our place in it. Laws such as the law of an object in motion staying in motion, and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, can help us understand why things happen in our lives, and what we can do within the confines of our understanding of nature and the world around us.